2017 Veterans Supportive Services Agency, Inc. Scholarship
Deadline: September 1, 2017
Award value: $750
Veterans Supportive Services Agency, Inc. (VSSA) is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit charitable organization solely dedicated to providing life enhancing services to US Armed Forces Veterans and their families.
To be considered eligible for the Veterans Supportive Services Agency, Inc. Scholarship, please:
· Be a resident of Santa Clara County
· Between the ages of 16 and 29 on September 1, 2017
· Be a US Armed Forces Veteran or the child, grandchild or relative of one
· Be willing to provide proof of service (i.e., DD214*) for yourself or family member (*When sending a copy of the DD214, please black out private information, i.e., Social Security Number).
· Have a GPA of 2.75 or higher
· Provide a copy of official transcripts
· Provide a resume including extracurricular work or community service (strongly recommended)
· Provide a letter of recommendation from a teacher, professor, or employer who can testify to your aptitude for academic scholarship
Applications will be reviewed by the VSSA Scholarship Selection Committee the week of September 4, 2017 and winner will be notified the week of September 18, 2017. The scholarship recipient will be announced at VSSA’s 5th Annual Silicon Valley Veterans Ball on Saturday, September 30, 2017. All applications must be postmarked and/or received by 11:59 p.m. PDT on September 1, 2017. No late submissions will be accepted.
“We, the People, recognize that we have responsibilities as well as rights; that our destinies are bound together; that a freedom which only asks what's in it for me, a freedom without a commitment to others, a freedom without love or charity or duty or patriotism, is unworthy of our founding ideals, and those who died in their defense.”
President Barack Obama, 2012
Essay Question #1:
Explain in 500 words or less what President Obama’s quote means to you. Note this should not just be stated. You must provide an argument supporting this statement.
Essay Question #2:
Explain in 500 words or less why you think you should be granted the Veterans Supportive Services Agency Inc. Scholarship.
Requirements for each essay:
1. The essay must provide a summary statement in the introductory paragraph. The summary statement must encapsulate the main argument for the paper. It must be clear and coherent, and it must answer the question put forth on the application.
2. The essay must offer supporting evidence. The writer must provide the supporting evidence in paragraph (not “bullet” or list) form. Each paragraph must contain evidence that supports one idea or concept that proves the summary statement. The writer must provide citations (in footnote, endnote or parenthetical form) for all evidence presented.
3. Every essay must follow basic rules of format and grammar. Every paper must contain a beginning (introductory paragraph), a middle (supporting paragraphs), and an end (concluding paragraph). Grammar is vital for essay composition. Sentence fragments, misspellings, and improper punctuation denote a carelessly-written and poorly-conceived paper.
4. Any family member of the staff, volunteers and Board Members of VSSA are not eligible to apply.
APPLICANT’S CONTACT INFORMATION
City, State, Zip Code
Phone number, Email address
SCHOOL CONTACT INFORMATION
Current School, School Address and Phone Number
Please submit your application by September 1, 2017 to:
2017 VSSA Scholarship
14630 Noble Avenue
San Jose, CA 95132
Download our guidelines here