2016 Veterans Supportive Services Agency, Inc. Scholarship
Deadline: May 2, 2016
Award value: $750
Veterans Supportive Services Agency, Inc. (VSSA) is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit charitable organization solely dedicated to providing life enhancing services to US Armed Forces Veterans and their families.
To be considered eligible for the Veterans Supportive Services Agency, Inc. Scholarship, please:
- Be a resident of Santa Clara County
- Between the ages of 16 and 29 on May 2, 2016
- Be a US Armed Forces Veteran or the child, grandchild or relative of one
- Be willing to provide proof of service (i.e., DD214*) for yourself or family member (*When sending a copy of the DD214, please black out private information, i.e., Social Security Number).
- Have a GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Provide a copy of official transcripts
- Provide a resume including extracurricular work or community service (strongly recommended).
- Provide a letter of recommendation from a teacher, professor, or employer who can testify to your aptitude for academic scholarship
- Create a LinkedIn profile and connect with Tito A. Cortez, Executive Director of VSSA and follow the VSSA company page
- Find our Facebook page and ‘like’ us
Applications will be reviewed by the VSSA Scholarship Selection Committee the week of May 2, 2016 and winner will be notified the week of May 9, 2016. The scholarship recipient will be announced at VSSA’s Armed Forces Day Festival in the Park at Lake Cunningham on Saturday, May 21, 2016. All applications must be postmarked and/or received by 11:59 p.m. PDT on May 2, 2016. No late submissions will be accepted.
"Our Servicemen and women are serving throughout the world as guardians of peace--many of them away from their homes, their friends and their families. They are visible evidence of our determination to meet any threat to the peace with measured strength and high resolve. They are also evidence of a harsh but inescapable truth--that the survival of freedom requires great cost and commitment, and great personal sacrifice."
President John F. Kennedy, 1963
Essay Question #1:
Explain in 500 words or less what President Kennedy’s quote means to you. Note this should not just be stated. You must provide an argument supporting this statement.
Essay Question #2:
Explain in 500 words or less why you think you should be granted the Veterans Supportive Services Agency Inc. Scholarship.
Requirements for each essay:
1. The essay must provide a summary statement in the introductory paragraph. The summary statement must encapsulate the main argument for the paper. It must be clear and coherent, and it must answer the question put forth on the application.
2. The essay must offer supporting evidence. The writer must provide the supporting evidence in paragraph (not “bullet” or list) form. Each paragraph must contain evidence that supports one idea or concept that proves the summary statement. The writer must provide citations (in footnote, endnote or parenthetical form) for all evidence presented.
3. Every essay must follow basic rules of format and grammar. Every paper must contain a beginning (introductory paragraph), a middle (supporting paragraphs), and an end (concluding paragraph). Grammar is vital for essay composition. Sentence fragments, misspellings, and improper punctuation denote a carelessly-written and poorly-conceived paper.
4. Any family member of the staff, volunteers and Board Members of VSSA are not eligible to apply.
APPLICANT’S CONTACT INFORMATION
City, State, Zip Code
Phone number, Email address
SCHOOL CONTACT INFORMATION
Current School, School Address and Phone Number
Please submit your application by May 2, 2016 to:
2016 VSSA Scholarship
Noble House, 14630 Noble Avenue, San Jose, CA 95132
Download our flyer here